The Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences is rapidly expanding; recent years have seen our student numbers increase dramatically. Our students join us for a range of reasons, among them the following:
Our research is well-respected
- Research in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences takes place within the UCL-Birkbeck Research School of Earth Sciences.
- In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences was ranked third of all environment and earth science departments in the UK and was one of only three to have an average score higher than 3.0.
- Find out more about our research.
We offer a great choice of study options
- We offer courses at all levels, from certificates and undergraduate study right up to MPhil/PhD study.
- All of our courses are offered via part-time evening study, and many of our students work during the day and join us for our evening classes.
- Many of our courses are offered via online / distance learning, which means every year we are joined by students around the world.
We operate a world-wide fieldwork programme
- Nowhere else do part-time students receive the same amount of supervised time in the lab and in the field. Undergraduates usually spend 10 days a year on a residential field class to sites of geological interest in Spain, Wales, Greece, Morocco or Scotland. In recognition of this, ours is the only part-time geology degree course accredited by the Geological Society.
- In addition, we offer numerous weekend- and day-trips to locations across the UK.
- Find out more about our fieldwork opportunities.